Teeth are important face members, which has a great effect on the beauty of appearance and smile. Yellow teeth and plaque could have negative effects on the beautiful smile of a person, which sometimes results in distress and low self-confidence. Most people are reluctant to smile or laugh because of yellow or black teeth and plaque. People who always smile and have white and beautiful teeth are considered affable and friendly and this has a positive impact on their social status. Next, we introduce 9 important and effective factors on yellow teeth.
9 Important Causes of Yellow Teeth
There are many reasons why teeth turn yellow. Here are 9 of them:
- Aging could result in yellow teeth: In most people, aging results in yellow teeth. As time passes and one ages, the outer layer of the teeth enamel worn away and the yellow natural color under teeth enamel,i.e. dentin, resurfaces and changes teeth color.
- Genetic and Inheritance: Some people have genetically whiter or darker teeth in comparison to others. Thus, yellow teeth could be caused by inheritance.
- Diseases: Some diseases have a great impact on the color of teeth. For instance, some infections that women suffer from during pregnancy, affects the development of the enamel of embryo’s teeth and causes yellow teeth in children.
- Some Drugs: Feeding medications such as Tetracycline and Doxycycline antibiotics to children under 8 whose teeth are still developing, changes teeth color and results in yellow teeth.
- Some Types of Mouthwash: Using mouthwash containing Chlorhexidine and Cetylpyridinium Chloride creates stains on the teeth surface. Antihistamines (like Benadryl), medications for neurological, and high blood pressure (hypertension) medications could lead to yellow teeth. Bear in mind to use special orthodontics mouthwash during orthodontics treatment with fixed brackets and avoid mouthwash containing Chlorhexidine.
- Poor Oral & Dental Hygiene: Yellow teeth are caused by factors including dental plaque, the color of food, and failure to practice dental hygiene.
- Dental Damage: Dental trauma could lead to yellow teeth. Dental trauma could cause the dental pulp to bleed, resulting in the blood contaminating the dentin area. This could result in yellow teeth.
- Smoking: Smoking cigarettes, hookah, and other tobacco products, in the long-term, will result in stain, discoloration, and yellow teeth.
- consuming Colored Food and Drink: Certain food and drinks such as carbonated drinks, tea, coffee, spicy food, Saffron, tomato paste, and citrus juice, … are factors resulting in yellow teeth.
The Best & Most Effective Methods for Whitening the Yellow Teeth
Traditional methods are not recommended. Some people use domestic methods to whiten their yellow teeth such as using coal, baking soda, and… These methods could wear down and damage teeth and are not scientifically approved and using them is not recommended.
Teeth erosion makes them more sensitive. In order to whiten the yellow teeth valid and scientific methods should be employed. Teeth whitening materials should be provided from pharmacies, containing standard marc, and approved by the Food and Drug Administration The Best Methods for Whitening Yellow Teeth Are as follows:
- Brushing and flossing according to the techniques proposed by the dentists
- Reducing the consumption of some food and beverages resulting in yellow teeth. Such as soft drinks, tea, coffee, and so forth…
- Tooth Bonding (Tooth Transplant)
- Teeth Crowning
- Using teeth whitening materials prescribed by a dentist
- Teeth whitening, bleaching, and scaling performed by a dentist
- Using teeth whitening materials with a doctor’s prescription
- Regular drinking of water and gargling water after eating and drinking food that is harmful to teeth color.